Monday 24 October 2022

A Big Time at the Usher Hall: Angel Olsen with Tomberlin

 It's always interesting, to me anyway, how you find yourself connecting with an artist and their art. Some it is immediate and with others it takes a time. A slow burn, I guess. That's what it was with finding my way to Angel Olsen. She turned up in my streaming suggestions and I tried but didn't quite get it though thought I should (get it). 

It was her duets with Sharon Van Etten that pushed the door open just a bit. And then there was 'Big Time' - I dove right in loving its huge melodies. She flippantly called it less bangs more twangs. Maybe that was the hook that got me in I don't really know. I think there is an honesty to that record that cut through any doubts that I might have had. 


And so, I found myself at the Usher Hall to experience that album and more at first hand. Angel didn't disappoint. Those huge songs with their gorgeous melodies filled that big big room. One thing I wasn't expecting was her humour. She wisecracked her way through the set including a hokey intro to 'Shut Up Kiss Me'. That one of many stand out moments of the evening. Her encore was an unexpected (for me) cover of 'Without You' - yes that one (Nilsson/Badfinger) calling support Tomberlin on halfway through to duet on the closing verses.

So, Angel, it's taken me a while but I'm there now and thank you for the music, that evening.

******


Contrary to what I have written about the journey to discover, to 'get' Angel Olsen it didn't take long at all to get Tomberlin. From the moment I heard 'idkwntht' I was there. It was wonderful to see her centre stage with just a guitar connect so effortlessly with the audience and importantly that the audience actually listened. It's brave for a lone singer to stand centre stage in a room this size not knowing how they'll be received and find an appreciative audience. Tonight, she got them on side quickly with her songs and the audience chatter that often mars support slots was absent. Watch this one for future wonders.  


No comments:

Post a Comment