Monday 6 March 2023

Nadia Reid with support Lorkin O'Reilly - Sneaky Pete's

It's three years since I was supposed to see Nadia Reid play live. Covid meant a long delay to watch the creator of 'Out of My Province' in a live setting.

It was worth the wait as Nadia has recently recorded a new album so there were some well received glimpses of that album featured in the show. It was also a sold out show so a welcome return to Nadia who had finished her last UK tour at the same venue in 2017.  

I always know I've been at a memorable gig when I wake up in the morning with a tune stuck in my head. This one was 'Heart to Ride' which, like all of her songs combines beautiful melodies and singing with a bit of world weariness and a rhythm that subtly drives the songs. Her voice carries the songs effortlessly and powerfully with a plaintive shade of regret. 

All in all this was an assured return that while pleasing the crowd with a range of her best known songs - 'Richard', 'Oh Canada' while pointing to the future with four or five songs from the as yet unreleased fourth album. I'm glad to have caught Nadia Reid live after that long Covid gap and the wait was worth it as i think that new album will be on heavy rotation.

Another hook for the show was the mordant troubadour that is Lorkin O'Reilly as support. Sharp eyed readers will know I shouted his praises last year when he supported Charlotte Cornfield at he same venue. Frankly anyone that writes songs namechecking Hart Crane, the Simpsons, Columbus and Townes Van Zant is worth hearing in my book.  

https://www.nadiareid.com/

https://lorkinoreilly.bandcamp.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment